The day Priyank and I planned a trip to UAE last year in September, the first thing on our list was visiting gorgeous The Grand Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi. I still remember the year of 2013 when Rihana posted some controversial pictures, I was blown by the beauty of the mosque and of-course Rihana’s beauty 😉 And since then, I always wanted to visit that magnificent place. After spending 3 days in Dubai, we booked a day tour to Abu Dhabi from Dubai especially to visit the magnificent Mosque. Our tour started early morning from Dubai and it took one and half hr to reach via road. Our first stop was definitely the Grand Mosque. And, we were completely awestruck by its beauty from the minute it became visible against the Abu Dhabi skyline.
Sheikh Zayed Mosque is the mosque where words fall short to describe its beauty… It is grand (indeed Grand) … It is majestic… It is brilliantly beautiful and one of the most gorgeous place I ever been to. I seriously do not remember the times I uttered the word Wow…!! For me, it’s truly an amazing piece of craftsmanship. Artisans truly made this mosque a piece of art that no matter what faith you have or what religion you follow, you will surely be blown away by its beauty. Every dome, every arch, every corner seems to be very luxurious and impressive. One can easily spend hours and hours exploring this stunning place. Unfortunately, we didn’t get so much time to spend there as our driver was in rush to take us to other places in Abu Dhabi. Hope to visit this majestic place some time soon, sooner – Next time!!
Some Facts about the Mosque :
– The Grand mosque was established by, the very first president of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan who passed away before the completion of mosque.
– Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is the largest mosque in the UAE and can hold up to 40,000 worshipers and is made up of over 1000 columns and 82 domes.
– The design of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque is described as the fusion of Persian, Moorish, and Mughal architecture with material from India, Italy, Turkey, Pakistan, U.K, China and took more than 12 years and 3,000 workers from 38 construction companies to build.
– There are seven crystal chandeliers and each one is made up of millions of Swarovski crystals from Germany. The largest ever chandelier to be found in a mosque – it weighs approximately 12 tonnes!
– It is made up of natural material such as marble, gold,ceramic,semi-precious stones and crystals.
– The carpet in the main prayer hall said to be the the largest single piece of the handmade carpet in the world.It took around 2 years to create, using wool from NewZealand and Iran.
Know before go :
– The Mosque is free to visit, no entry fees.
– The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is open to tourists everyday from 9 am to 10 pm except for Friday mornings.
P.S.: during the month of Ramadan visiting hours are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. with the mosque closed all day Friday. Before visiting please check the timing.
– There are several free tours offered everyday. If you want to learn more about the mosque and Islamic culture, this tour is worth to take.
– You are required to wear proper attire– this means long, loose fitting, ankle length outfit for both men and women and a scarf to wrap the head for women. If you are wearing proper clothes you wouldn’t need to wear Abaya. Though, Abayas are available for hire at free of cost but it takes a bit of time to collect and return it. So make sure, you have enough time.
P.S: You can also buy your own abaya from the main shop inside mosque. It costed me only 70 riyals.
– Holding hands and kissing is disrespectful and not allowed in the mosque. Also please, remove your shoes before entering the main prayer hall.
Our visit to the Grand mosque was definitely worth. But please be mindful while you are taking pictures, certain poses are not acceptable (I hope you all must be aware of Rihana’s lying down poses.). Be respectful and enjoy this marvelous piece of art.
Have you visited the Grand mosque yet?? How do you like it??
Follow us on: